Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Ficus Update

     What. . . what's this? A new post? Inconceivable! Yet, here it is, and here I am, returned from the blogging dead. I have been busy with other aspects of my life recently, but a steady hail of withering criticism and hostility gentle prodding from Planted's quality control department has convinced me to get back on the wagon and whip up a new post for you, the reader, to enjoy. So without further ado, I present to you the following post!
This is exciting.

     Most of my concentration lately has been on my Ficus Benjamina, which I am attempting to keep alive here at school. Believe it or not, it's doing great! However, there were a few speed bumps along the way. I have been keeping the tree under a plastic wrap tent to increase humidity, and it has been working very well, however, mold began to be an issue early on. It was gross, so I didn't take pictures, but it was this nasty white spidery stuff that was covering the entire surface of the soil. Needless to say, I was not too happy. After scooping it off, along with the top half of the waterlogged soil, this is what things looked like:


The soil had previously been level with the top of the pot.
     It was bad. Things got better, though! I promise! A certain someone gave me the idea of replacing the now missing layer of soil with better draining, less organic, more mold-resistant sand! And voila!

Like magic! 
     I have since continued the use of the plastic wrap tent set-up, and it is now blissfully mold free. I have also put an additional covering around the lower portion of the trunk and over the moss in an attempt to ramp up the humidity even more and try and create more root development and it seems to be working. I took a peak this afternoon and saw some wonderful roots starting to branch out from the lower trunk. Hopefully I can encourage this and get some nice root-over-rock nebari action going! I may also try wrapping some of the lower branches and see if I can get some  the tree to throw out some aerial roots. Pictures of this to come!

     If we're talking about aerial roots, we're going to have to talk about the little crassula cutting i've got sitting by the microwave; it's losing it's mind! I'm starting to see some little aerial roots popping out right below the small cluster of leave on the leftmost trunk. Cursory research didn't yield much helpful information; some people say it's a good sign, some say it's a sign of stress. I think I'll just let it go and see what happens. The little guy might make an interesting little conversation piece eventually.

Whaaaaaaat? 
     Well, that's it for now, but I'll be back soon. I promise.

The gif at the top is not mine and I claim no rights to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment